SUBMISSION GUIDELINES Any Brevard resident may submit poetry or short stories, which must be original, unpublished and not under consideration elsewhere. All rights revert to the author after the competition has closed and the anthology has been published.
Work must conform to all the entry rules or it will not be considered. Entries need to be proofed for grammar, spelling, typos, formatting and overall quality of content. There will be NO exceptions to the rules and requirements. The Deadline (1st April 2021) is FINAL.
SHORT STORIES must be a maximum of 5000 words or less and be double line spaced in Word format with page numbers.
POETRY must be 300 or fewer printed lines, single line spaced, in Word format, with page numbers (if appropriate). Title all poems with an exception for Haiku (only at the poet’s discretion). Artistic layouts are accepted.
- Work must be printed on 8.5 x 11 white, high quality paper in 12 point Times New Roman.
- Work submitted in all caps will not be accepted.
- You will need a total of five print copies of each work. They must be identical in content.
- On the top copy only, add the author’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address in the upper right hand corner.
- Short stories require a word count in the upper right hand corner.
- The line count is required for poetry.
- The title of the work should be centered in capital letters.
- It must be sent in Word format only.
- Please include a statement at the end of your top copy that reads: “I confirm that my work has been independently checked for spelling, grammar, punctuation and formatting.”
- The other four copies should have just the title centered in capital letters above the double spaced work.
- Judges score sheets can be mailed back to the author only if a self-addressed (correctly priced) stamped envelope is submitted with entries.
Mail the five print copies (including the Top Copy) to the Print Editor, Linda Paul at PO Box 360297, Melbourne, Florida, 32936.
A digital version of the Top Copy is to be sent to the Digital Editor, Elayne Kershaw, at email@example.com as an attachment in Word format (.doc or .docx). In that email please list every item you are submitting, with its:
- Title and type of entry (e.g. short story or poetry).
- Confirm the total number of submissions with your final calculated entry fee.
- You can add multiple attachments to a single email message (i.e. if you are submitting several entries).
- Send a check for the correct amount to the Treasurer: David Clark at: 1808 Wake Forest Rd NW, Palm Bay, Fl, 32907.
- Please make checks payable to Scribblers of Brevard.
There is no restriction on the number of entries a person may submit but THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE ANTHOLOGY AS A RESULT OF WINNING THE COMPETITION CANNOT EXCEED THREE IN EACH CATEGORY.
|Short Story||$8 Per Entry|
|Poetry||$5 Per Entry|
All entries must be submitted by April 1st 2021