APPROVED: 26 MAY 2012
REVISION 8: 14 APR 2021
NAME AND PURPOSE
The name of the club shall be “The Scribblers of Brevard.” It will be a non-profit, unincorporated, non-political, and non-sectarian club of Brevard County, Florida. Its purpose is to encourage and promote the written word in prose and poetry. Its primary vehicle will be an annual prose and poetry anthology previously known as DRIFTWOOD, but from 2021 onwards, known as WRITTEN IN THE SUN: BREVARD SCRIBBLERS ANTHOLOGY (Year of Publication). Hereafter, the term “the Club” will be used synonymously to mean “The Scribblers of Brevard.” The Club may choose to sponsor literary contests and/or to sponsor writing clubs in area schools and/or to conduct seminars.
MEETINGS AND TIME
With the exception of November and December, scheduled meetings are held on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. During November and December, there will be only one meeting each month, held on the second Saturday. Meetings are presently held in the Eau Gallie Public Library commencing at 9:30 AM with the first thirty minutes used as a social get-together.
Any resident of Brevard County is eligible for membership provided he/she adheres to the purpose of the Club. Membership can be renewed by any member even though that person’s residency no longer is in Brevard County. The membership year commences on 1 January and ends on 31 December. “Member” shall henceforth mean that the member’s dues are paid and member is in good standing.
The elected officers of the Club shall be president, vice president, secretary, treasurer.
The appointed chairs of the Club shall be publicity, hospitality, historian, nominating.
The appointed editors of the Club shall be publishing, literary, art.
The nominating chair will present a slate of all eleven (11) positions at the first meeting in October; any person seeking an office must announce at that time. The officers will be elected by a majority of members present and voting at the first meeting in November. The newly elected individuals will be installed in December and will take office at the first meeting in January of the following year.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors will consist of the elected officers. The president will be the chairman of the board. Any position that becomes open during the year may be filled by the president with approval of the membership. Any action or decision of the board affecting members or policy or principles must be approved by a majority of members present at the next meeting.
The president has the authority to appoint committee chairmen and additional officers deemed necessary to the successful operation of the Club.
DUTIES OF THOSE ELECTED
The president shall:
- Call the meeting to order.
- Preside at all meetings.
- Establish committees necessary to the proper function of the Club and appoint chairmen of those committees.
- Assist in production of the annual WRITTEN IN THE SUN anthology.
- Receive and disburse all funds belonging to the Club in the absence of the treasurer.
The vice-president shall:
- Preside in the absence of the president.
- Arrange for and conduct the program section of the meeting by accepting volunteer member speakers or by securing a guest speaker.
- Ensure that all readers are members of the Club unless they are invited guest speakers or visitors whom the vice president authorizes to read manuscripts on a one-time basis without benefit of Club membership.
- Maintain online presence for Club with website and Facebook.
The secretary shall:
- Take minutes at each Club meeting.
- Maintain a record of the minutes.
- Compose letters at the direction of the president.
The treasurer shall:
- Change bank signature cards as applicable to the authorized check signers. Checks must be signed by the current Club treasurer and the current Club president.
- Receive and disburse all funds belonging to the Club and maintain records of these transactions.
- Provide the Club member with the latest financial status and membership status at each meeting.
- Provide the president with a minimum of two lists of the club membership. These lists will be reproduced on a semi-annual basis and distributed to the membership.
- Confer with WRITTEN IN THE SUN editors to determine appropriate submission fees and sales prices for the current edition.
- Discuss with the WRITTEN IN THE SUN editors the amount of money needed to produce WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Set the price for any remaining older copies of WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
The publicity chairman shall:
- Bring to public notice the activities of the Club.
- Announce the forthcoming publication of WRITTEN IN THE SUN to members and to the public.
- Create/maintain coordinated material for letterhead, promotional flyers, WRITTEN IN THE SUN publicity flyers, business cards, meeting name tags, and membership cards.
The hospitality chairman shall:
- Prepare the meeting room and insure that refreshments are provided for the social segment of each meeting.
- Coordinate the obtaining and disbursing of refreshments at any function of the club.
The historian shall:
- Maintain an album of Club member publications
- Maintain a cumulative log of noteworthy activities of the Club.
- Bring album and log to a Club meeting twice a year to show membership.
The nominating committee chairman shall:
- Select two other members to constitute the nominating committee
- Meet with the nominating committee to develop a slate of candidates for the officer, chairs, and editor positions of the Club
- Announce the slate at the two October meetings.
The literary editor shall:
- Coordinate with other WRITTEN IN THE SUN editors and treasurer to determine fees and rules for submission of prose and poetry to WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Receive submissions and fees from authors and forward fees received to the treasurer.
- Secure three poetry judges and three prose judges.
- Receive literary works from judges and tabulate the ratings.
- Deliver eligible literary works to judges.
- Use literary work based on predetermined passing scores in the WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Appoint a proofreader.
- Notify authors of the status of their submissions.
- Distribute complimentary copies of WRITTEN IN THE SUN to judges and local libraries.
The art editor shall:
- Collect art submissions and decide how they will be used in WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Announce, in a timely manner, the Cover Art contest. Officiate at display and voting.
- Notify artists which submissions will be included in WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Deliver completed layout to publishing editor.
The publishing/managing editor shall:
- Acquire the finished layout from art editor and literary editor.
- Prepare the current WRITTEN IN THE SUN edition in electronic format for publishing on the Amazon bookstore (Kindle and Print-on Demand).
- Discuss with treasurer the amount of money available to produce the WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Coordinate with president and treasurer to upload the final, compiled manuscript to Amazon.
- Coordinate with publicity chairman in publicizing forthcoming publication of WRITTEN IN THE SUN.
- Coordinate with treasurer to determine the sale price for the current edition of WRITTEN IN THE SUN and the number of print copies of the books to be ordered from Amazon.
- Arrange for WRITTEN IN THE SUN print copies to be distributed where necessary.
The second meeting in January will include a luncheon for the purpose of recognitions, awards, and State of the Club address by the new president.
Each year, a Club-funded annual social function is authorized. The type, meal, and date/time will be decided by a vote of the members.
RULES OF CONDUCT
Members guilty of improper behavior or disruptive conduct shall be asked to leave the meeting. Their membership will then be refunded on a prorated basis.
AMENDMENT OF PRINCIPLES
The principles can be amended by presenting the proposed changes to all members at least two meetings before a vote is called. A vote by a majority of members present shall be necessary to pass any amendments or changes to these principles.